Thursday, November 10, 2011

How do you defrost a freezer in a garage during winter that is frozen shut?

I have an older freezer in my 2 car garage and for the past year it has taken to getting a ton of ice. We hardly ever use the freezer but there is some food in there that I cannot get out. We tried to defrost it a while back and we had it unplugged and the door open for 3 days and nothing melted enough to get the food free. We can't put bowls of hot water in there because there is no room...too much ice. Now the door is frozen shut and I am not sure what to do. It is winter and the garage is cold. There is a washer and dryer next to it and I don't want to shock anybody. Is there a solution to this in winter time? It seems ridiculous that it takes days to defrost a freezer!! In winter maybe but it was warm when we last tried. Please help me with this. I want my food!! Also, do you think the food will be ruined/freezer burnt? I had some steaks in there that came freeze dried and were in a cardboard box and we put it in there still in the box? Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment